9.09.2012

Being Missional

This was the first weekend I haven't traveled away from home (being Chi-town) in over a month.
And it was the first weekend back at Jericho Road in over 3 months...
And it felt
GREAT!


While I've been gone they've been talking about Missoinal Communities.
So today Jeff talked through Luke 9:1-3
Missionares...
1) Go with the power of Jesus Christ
2) We are sent by God RIGHT AWAY
3) It is both actions and words
4) Rely on God to provide

5) You represent Jesus

All important things to remember as I try to live for God in ALL aspects of my life.

Then we talked through how/why/difficulties of living this Mission Life (to use an LT term that I talked about with students week in and week out this summer.)

We got a nifty handout with 10 Simple Ways To Be Missional by Tim Chester

1) Eat with other people

2) Work in public places
3) Be a regular
4) Join in with what's going on
5) Leave the house in the evenings
6) Serve your neighbors
7) Share your passion
8) Hang out with your work colleagues
9) Walk

10) Prayer Walk

So what's the first step you ask?
Just that... a step. Something specific and attainable.
Here's how I'm going to try and be missional

1) Continue Crock Pot Wednesday's this year at LT (accomplishes #1,7 & 8)
2) Walk after work 3 nights a week (#5,9,10)
3) Go to La Spiaza - the coffee shop my Community Group chose to be our "hub" or hangout (#1,2,3,4,5,7)
4) Step out of my comfort zone - approach a stranger who I feel led to talk to.
         I did this last Saturday at La Spiaza. There was a musician who was setting up for his set. There weren't a ton of people in the coffee shop and he seemed a little nervous. So I just asked if he needed help moving tables. His name is Matt and he writes his own worship songs, works with a church down near the Loop and lives a little further north. 

So what are you going to do this week to show God's love?
Because you might be the only person who shows it to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment