6.16.2013

The Climb of Your Life

The follow was my final newsletter update to all my amazing supporters during my time with LeaderTreks.

            Over the past two months since my last newsletter I’ve done a lot of traveling. In this time of transition I’ve taken the freedom and opportunity given to me to see many friends and family. From Virginia Beach to Chattanooga, Oklahoma City to Dallas and even back to good ‘ole Siloam Springs where I spent my college years.

            On one of those treks I took a weekend to spend in the beautiful Red River Gorge area in Kentucky. The main purpose of this trip was to get in some great rock-climbing, something I’d never tried in my life, but was willing to give it a go (under the good supervision of my much more skilled friends). A few things I learned about climbing:


  • ·         There are two people involved in a climb – the climber herself and the belay, who has the other end of the rope and is your anchor to the ground
  • ·          If the climber needs to rest at any point on the climb all they have to do is yell “TAKE” and their belay will tighten the rope and yell “GOT YOU”. Then the climber can lean back into their harness away from the wall and rest their arms. When they are ready to continue they yell, “CLIMBING” and the belay responds “CLIMB ON”.


Super intense face, pulling your body up a rock wall is a TON of work.
I feel like my life is a 1,000 foot climb. I’m strapped into my harness, my knots are all tied correctly and Jesus is on-belay. I was a couple hundred feet up, when I miss my hold – the solid jug that was LeaderTreks actually had a crack in it and pulled away from the wall with me still holding on to it. But Jesus is the best person to have on the ground and He caught me. One aspect I love about this sport is the climb need not be rushed. When your arms get tired and you don’t see the next hold to move you up the rock-face, you call, “TAKE!”  You shake out your arms and study the wall and listen to your friend on the ground, He has climbed this wall before and knows that just a couple inches higher is the perfect hold if you’re willing to trust Him and reach for it.

Right Arrow:   MESo that’s where I’ve been – resting in the strength of my Gracious Savior who knows the right path to climb this daunting wall. Over the past 2 months I’ve driven several thousand miles, received numerous hugs and encouragement. Now I’m officially back in Chicago, moved into a new house with a new roommate and started the job hunt. The climb is slow going sometimes, but I know it will be amazing when I finally do look out and see the view that God has brought me to.


            So again, thank you for ALL the prayers, monetary support, open homes and arms, and anything you’ve done to support me during my time at LT. The end of my time at LeaderTreks may be here, but there is much more of my climb left and I’m excited to see where God takes me.



1 comment: