6.08.2013

The Return of Granola Girl


This morning I got up at 5:30
And I packed this for breakfast



And why did I get up that early?
And take my granola on the go?

Because ALL of the Chicago-land REI's had garage sales this morning.
And my very first Chicago friend (who ironically lives in Milwaukee)
drove the hour and half to stake out two of the sales with me.

Store #1 was a success for him
Store #2 he snagged a good deal for me


CLIMBING SHOES!
(my latest granola obsession since my first experience climbing in the Red River Gorge in KY)

Want to be a Granola Girl on the go like me?
Here's my family's AMAZING homemade granola recipe:

4 cups rolled oats-- thick ones are best  (don't use quick kind)
1 cup slivered almonds or other nut
1 cup cashews or other nut1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup vegetable oil1/2 tsp salt
Dried fruit (raisins are typical, but my favorite are cranberries and blueberries)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees (to bake for one hour and 15 min) 
or 325 degrees (to bake for 30 min)
(I typically go for longer, but I'm a "slow-cooked" fan)
In large bowl combine oats, nuts, coconut, sunflower seeds, and brown sugar.  In separate bowl combine maple syrup, oil and salt.  Combine both mixtures and pour onto pan with high sides.  Cook as directed above, stirring every 15 minutes.  Remove from oven when lightly browned and transfer to large bowl again.  Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.

ENJOY!

1 comment: