4.04.2013

Wait

A Lesson in Patience

I've spent this week with my brother and sister-in-law and my one and only niece JUNE!

She's is 2 and in that stage where everything is a lesson and she's just a little sponge to soak it all in.

What I've noticed is my brother and sister-in-law are incredible patient with this active 2 year old. They are constantly and calmly listening to her and giving her choices when she is fussy or obstinate
(I know, big word to use for a 2 year old.. but that's what she is sometimes)


My favorite lesson I've heard them teach multiple times in the 3 days I spent with this is how to practice patience herself.

June will begin to get fussy because something is not happening instantly like her little heart desires
(typically focused on the arrival of food -
whether it's at a restaurant after ordering on at home while her mom is cooking dinner)


Here's what the conversation looks like between my siblings and their daughter:
June: *beginning to fuss* I want food now!
Parent: June, mommy is preparing food. But we have to be patient.
June: *calming down a little* Patient?
Parent: What do we do while we're patient?
June: Wait.
Parent: That's right. We wait.

This young child does not grasp the concept of time quite yet. And so much in her life is given instantly, that this waiting is a new thing. Practicing patience is a lesson that she must learn and work on.

I feel a lot like my two year old niece with God as my parent right now.
Heather: *beginning to fuss* I want to know my future now!
God: Heather, I'm preparing your future for you. But we have to be patient.
Heather: *calming down a little* Patient?
God: What do we do while we're patient?
Heather: Wait.
God: That's right. We wait.

I've been without a job for 1 month now - and I trust that God has a plan -
and the truth is he's given me a lot of gifts instantly
Just like June gets
snacks
kisses
TV shows
stories 
and many other things immediately upon request

God has given me
peace

a new roommate situation
a hiking backpack
and time to travel to see my family


But just like June, when the stomach grumbles and that Chicken Pot Pie seems to taking forever in the oven, I can forget that there are times when we do have to
WAIT
Lots of times.

June's parents will continue to repeat this lesson for June
and I know my Abba will continue to repeat this lesson for me.

What do we do while we're patient?
Wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment