8.24.2011

Peace and Iron: Joy Day 2

Today is the second day of my joy challenge. I almost posted this afternoon... but I wanted to see what God would bring my way, and the wait proved to be worth it.

I spent the morning just relaxing and reading around the house, but by the time one o'clock rolled around, I was wanting to get out and explore some of the forest reserves that are in the area I'd been told about. So after texting a friend for directions to the best reserve to go hammock-ing, I hopped in my car and headed out. No lie, not even a five minute drive and I get to a place that looks like this
Walking along the paths, I did not even feel like I was anywhere near a city. After a time of walking and stretching my legs, just enjoying the peace of the trees, I picked the perfect spot to set up my hammock... and there I sat for about two hours. I spent much of that time chewing through the book, The Help. But for part of it I just sat and swung in my hammock enjoying God's command, "BE STILL, and know that I am God." I find such joy in the fact that commands us to do this. He commands us to find peace and moments of stillness in this hectic world. Through that peace we can reflect on all he is doing in our lives and how he is truly God.

So the second part of joy that I discovered today was this evening while I was hanging out with one of my new co-workers. We ended up at Steak and Shake to hang out and play some games (Speed, Uno and Speed Scrabble). Near the beginning of our time together we got into an intense discussion about the use of our speech, curse words in particular. Over 3/4 of our time together were spent in this heated debate. At the end of the evening I felt so invigorated... so joyful. We did not make ground breaking revelations about anything, but I felt like we both pushed each other to think outside of the boxes that we had been thinking in. I find joy in this, because if done with the right attitude it is such brilliant picture of iron sharpening iron. Sparks may fly, but the sword is sharper by the end of it. Being sharpened is so invigorating and I cannot help but choose to be joyful when I know God is stretching me.
So, what did God bring across your path today that has allowed you to choose joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment