8.27.2011

When Joy Hides... Day 5

For forty days I'm deliberately choosing to find joy. To start from the beginning, click here.

A little pathetic that I am already running out of things that I'm joyful about and it is only Day 5. But I think that is somewhat the point of taking a challenge. 


Challenge (noun): difficulty in a job or undertaking that is stimulating to one engaged in it.


Tonight as I reflect back over my day I realize that Joy really is a choice. A difficult to see your circumstances in an attitude of joy, not just happiness. Today's circumstances have been difficult to see as joyful. 


I was reading one of my favorite blogs (The Word and A Cup of Joe), and she talked about how God commands us to rest. Today, I think I received more than just a command, I received the circumstances that force me to "rest". And it bugs me. I am so ready to jump back into routine and schedule that days like today, happy moments and all, tear me to pieces. I feel useless. I feel lazy. I don't feel like I'm resting.But I did rest, because the only reason I left the house was to run to Panera was to get bagles and cream cheese for breakfast tomorrow. I finished a great book that really got me thinking. I played with the darling little boys I'm living with that have stolen my heart. I sat around and rested.I need to choose to be joyful in that, because I know in a little over a week I will start work and those moments of entire days for rest will be far away and unreachable. I need to choose to be joyful in the circumstances that God has given me, because I know he brought me to Chicago for a reason, I know he has brought me today for a reason. I know that he wants me to take joy in EVERYTHING he has given me.So I admit, I've had a hard time choosing joy today. I hope that your challenge hasn't hit it's rough patch yet and would LOVE if you would share with me where you have found joy today. Go ahead, click on the comment box! Until tomorrow...Psalm 16:11You make known to me the path of life; you fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment