10.17.2012

Training Schedules


I am becoming a RUNNER.

I never thought those words would slip out of my mouth 
(or more appropriately out of my fingers.)
But as I actually commit to running this 5K in 11 DAYS
what is a laughable 3 miles to many
is a BIG step for me.

And I'm ENJOYING it.

Last week I added to my scheduled 3-run week a spontaneous 10 min additional in a already jam packed day. I've gone running on Sundays just to enjoy the fall weather on my favorite near by trail. On Monday I ran almost 10 minutes straight, and thought to myself, I could push myself to keep going if I wanted to... and at the end of the run thought, I really liked that: mud, fallen trees, hills and all.

So I'm becoming someone who trains my physical body
But what about my spiritual body?

Which brings my mind to this verse:
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No I beat my body and make it my salve so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."
1 Corinthians 9:24-27


And this verse:
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." 
Hebrews 12:1-3

And at times I feel like I've been running aimlessly?
I don't have a training schedule for my spirit like I do for my body.
So I want to create one - a schedule that focuses on Scripture memorization.
And I'm going to start with 2 verses a week from now until January 1st.
Want to join me, check in on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the week's memory verses.
And I'm starting with these two verses

Do you have a training schedule?
What are you doing to keep yourself from running aimlessly?

No comments:

Post a Comment