3.22.2013

1,000 Gifts > Chapter 2


This post is part of my Book Club Series
which was started by {this} and {this} lovely lady
To start from the beginning click {here}

Welcome to another step on the journey of daring to live fully in God's Grace right where He has placed you:

SOUNDBYTES:
"Isn't it here? The wonder? Why do I spend so much of my living hours struggling to see it? Do we truly stumble so blind that we must be affronted with blinding magnificence for our blurry soul-sight to recognize grandeur?" (p 31)
So this is actually my second time through this book and *spoiler alert* what Ann soon divulges that recognizing grandeur in ALL things means starting with the smallest easiest things. I initially challenged myself to counting 1,000 gifts all in the month of May (of 2012). I didn't actually accomplish that - but what I did find was that I went faster when I carried my journal with me and was willing to write things down in the moment. It became a continual LOOKING for grandeur rather than remembering grandeur from the day. We need the "blinding magnificence" when we are not looking.

"Is the height of my chara joy dependent on the depths of my eucharisteo thanks? [...] As long as thanks is possible, then joy is always possible. Joy is always possibleWhenever, meaning - now; wherever, meaning - here. [...] The only place we need to see before we die is this place of seeing God, here and now." (p 33)
This is the whole basis of her book and the beginning of her practice. I LOVE this moment in her story when she so clearly hears God telling her something and in faith must go out and try it.

"Thanksgiving is the EVIDENCE of our acceptance of whatever He gives. Thanksgiving is the MANIFESTATION of our Yes! to His grace." (p 39)
Evidence - an outward symbol
Manifestation - Christ's work in our lives



{in reference to the communion table} "And too... it's the most common of foods, bread." (p 34)
If I could eat bread and only bread, I would. And I do "indulge" in it daily - often multiple times of day. Do i indulge in thanking my God is such continual ways?




TRUTH TO WRITE ON YOUR HEART:


GRATITUDE EVERYDAY: 

  • list making of all things I want to do with my free time AND getting to cross some off
  • Rosemary Bread Pizza Crust! *Brilliant idea Amanda Salsbury*
  • REI Garage Sales and God giving me the backpack I'd be praying for!
    (I'll show pictures and share the story soon!)
  • Witty quotes: "Or we can just get together and eat some caramels... Because if you think about it it's just as arbitrary as drinking coffee" - Good Will Hunting
  • Getting opportunities to live as a Living Sacrifice (Rom 12:1)
  • Breakfast for lunch and great friends from work!
  • Staying out past midnight with friends - which I haven't done in MONTHS!
  • snuggling with sleeping babies
  • Boy Meets World Episodes (I absolutely LOVE this show and yes I own all 7 seasons on DVD)





1 comment:

  1. "It became a continual LOOKING for grandeur rather than remembering grandeur from the day" I LOVE your journal - what a great idea and totally cute :)

    and the backpack the Lord gave you?! I just LOVE when he blesses us with something we don't really need but would really like - He knows our hearts and wants to bless up. just like a parent!

    ReplyDelete