3.04.2013

I Go to Church with a Famous Widow

She hasn't been on TV
She hasn't been in a movie
and you probably wouldn't recognize her if you passed her on the street.
But she is famous, I promise you that.

In fact, I don't even think that many people at my church know her - except maybe as the old bent over woman who makes me feel awkward when she sings songs of praise to God in her native tongue.
 But she is famous, I promise - she's in the Bible.

As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. "I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."
Luke 21:1-4

This woman goes to my church.
Her name is Katarina and she is a refugee from her own country.
She lives, by American standards, in meager circumstances

She is bent over by back pain

and can barely understand or speak any English
and therefore has not possibility of a job here.
She comes to church
wrapped in her colorful African fabrics 
over fuzzy blue fleeces to live comfortably in what she knows, 
trying to fight the bitter Chicago cold.
She sings of God's greatness 


despite the horror I'd guess she's seen in this world
and she'll sing them with all her heart 
in a room full of awkward white people 
who've rarely been physically moved by God's abundant Grace 
(I count myself first and foremost in this crowd)


and this past Sunday I happened to turn around to spot her kneeling in front of our offering box.
Dropping in "two very small copper coins"

"And I tell you the truth, 
this poor woman has put in more than all the others."

Lord, may I today take the same posture as Katarina in front of your offering box.
Kneeling in submission to your abundant grace

Offering all that I have.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment