9.26.2011

Leaders are Committed

For forty days I'm deliberately choosing to find joy. To start from the beginning, click here 

Day 23

Today began our first day of Leadership Training Event (LTE) certification. Myself and my fellow Base Camp Summiteers successfully made it through our first teaching session and Angie was quickly guiding us through session two in preparation for our teaching tomorrow.

Session one is about defining a leader. Session two is about Who Leaders Are. Everything was going well, until God decided to convict me by using one of the main teaching points.

Leaders are Committed -
They Say what they mean and they mean what they say

I could almost hear God telling me, "Heather, if you are going to be teaching this to students, you'd better be living it out."

How many times have I said in the past two weeks that I was going to make thank you calls to my partners who donated One-time gifts, a very necessary and helpful thing during these first couple of months as I get my feet under me.

So after five, as I stayed at work trying to print off my next newsletter (which didn't happen, so please be praying for our printer tomorrow morning as I declare war on the thing to get my newsletters printed!) I decided to be committed and make some calls.

First call, I left a message. The next few calls I got a hold of the person and had great conversations. And then I got to an older couple from my church. The conversation went as such.

dialed number and wait as it rings
Mr.: Hello.
Me: Hello, is Mr. or Mrs. ____ there?
Mr.: I'm sorry, we're busy right now.
upon thinking they thought I was a telemarketer I quickly say,
Me: Oh, Mr. ____, this is Heather Cheek.
silence
Me: a little louder This is Heather Cheek.
more silence
Me: Mr. ____. Hello?
more silence.... CLICK!

Oh dear, all I wanted to do was thank them for supporting me, and they thought I was a telemarketer.

I had to laugh a little. I'd never been hung up on purpose before. A little bit of joy fills my soul at the misunderstanding. I'll just have to try a different time to call and thank them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you had any misunderstandings today that brought you any joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment