5.01.2012

Stories of the Young and Old

I love when God builds moment upon moment in what He is trying to tell me for the day.
Every Sunday I'm in Chicago I get up a little bit earlier than necessary and head to Starbucks for a date before church. Sometimes I've got girlfriends with me, but I've always got God and I really value this time.



Stories of the Old:
This past Sunday I found myself in the book of Acts and discovered some very surprising information I had overlooked in previous readings.
Did you know Moses was remembered for his powerful speech? (Acts 7:22)
Yes, the man who tried to sweet talk himself out of a job with God
because he thought himself not eloquent (Ex 4:10)
remembered for his speech
Did you know Moses was 40 when he killed the Egyptian beating up an Israelite? (Acts 7:23)
Did you know Moses was 80 when he found himself in the presence of God in the form of a burning bush? (Acts 7:30)
Did you Moses was over 120 years old when he got through wandering the desert? (Acts 7:36)
Moses was old folks... but oh how God used that old man. 


Stories of the Young:
I'm currently reading Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis. A girl my own age who moved over to Uganda after graduating high school. She is now the mother of 16 girls and living in daily dependence on the journey God has set before her. In her book she tells the story of Happy, a 4 lb 4 month old who God brought into her life. She spent four days contacting doctors and donors trying to get physical healing for Happy, but God "chose a different kind of healing for her." Katie writes:
 "I received several e-mails last night and this morning from different doctors in the states who had been helping me, all telling me a bit about how Happy had changed their hearts and given them a stronger desire to provide better medical care in Uganda. Sweet Happy, you are paving the way for greatness. In four months you have brought about change, you have taught people, you have broken people's hearts. We love you, sweet baby girl." (p. 174 Nook version)
 Happy was young folks... but oh how God used that baby girl.


Stories of Us:
And then God tied a nice little bow on my Sunday morning. 
My pastor at Jericho Road Church started a new sermon series titled WIRED.
"For we are God's masterpiece, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 1:10

God created Moses,
God created Happy,
God created You,
God created Me.
He created US...
we are His MASTERPIECES!

And not only that...
he's already prepared good works for us to be doing! 

The month of May is prep time in the office for me before I move to Dayton, OH to work in God's Kingdom there. And every time I think about moving, by myself, with 2 interns following me and 7 youth workers coming with groups of students expecting me to lead them I'm
TERRIFIED!
But then I remember this verse. 
God has already prepared the good work for us to do in Dayton.

Lord may I trust in the works you have already prepared for me.

May I rest in your plans and focus on the things I must accomplish this month before I follow you to Dayton.


No comments:

Post a Comment