5.02.2012

Dear Seniors,

"Living Out LeaderTreks"  - A series on the core values and leadership principles of LeaderTreks. I'll share how they are lived out in the company and in my own life.  To start from the beginning click here  


This time last year I had 2 papers left in my undergraduate career
and totally did not feel like completing them.



The difficult thing about the "end" of college is that even though you walk across the stage at the same time, you don't finish working at the same time. Most of my friends were already celebrating and I was staring down the barrel of a 10 pages of paper writing.




So my fellow sufferers (AnnaCarol & Kendall) and I gathered in my apartment living room to work on our final college papers. 

I complained,

procrastinated,


ate Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream,

wrote a sentence
and repeated.


We stayed up till 3 AM writing together. 
I enjoyed the company and I love the memory,
 but I know that it wasn't the strongest finish I could have given.



FINISH STRONG




At LeaderTreks we teach students that leaders finish strong. One of my favorite parts of a trip is when we have a work site that does not look like it will get finished in time... and instead of giving up, the students push even harder. They give their all and we find in the last minute that there was JUST ENOUGH work for the week. 

It's difficult in life when we feel like we're running alone to give our all
to be more excited about the end of our project than the beginning.
To leave on that final day and be able to say I gave my all.


So...



Dear Seniors, 
If you still have work left tonight, grab a friend, make the sprint together and finish strong. Don't find yourself a year later regretting the attitude you had concerning your last project. There will be many more finish lines coming in the future. Look at this as practice for all of those.
Make it a Strong Finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment