10.08.2011

Joy - To Exalt

For forty days I'm deliberately choosing to find joy. To start from the beginning, click here 

Day 29


I love looking into the original meaning of Biblical words. Those words and phrases have come a long way... and we are bound to lose some meaning as they've traveled through history and across many languages.

For Christmas my parents bought me a Greek concordance and related New Testament. They are my go-to whenever I am in questions. After searching the limited concordance of my Bible for passages on "the JOY of the LORD" with no clear picture I decided it would be best to return to these helpful resources.

And guess what, there are 10 different words for Joy in Greek... who knew!

So these last days of my Challenge I will be bringing you some of the knowledge that I am learning about Joy from scripture.



agalliasis

to exalt. Exultation, exuberant joy (Ps 30:5; 45:15; 65:12, rejoicing with song, dancing, Ps 126:2,6)
- great joy (Ps 45:7; 51:8,12)
- joy, gladness, rejoicing (Lk 1:14, 44; Acts 2:46; Heb 1:9 from Ps 45:7, oil of gladness with wihich guests were anointed at feasts, was used as an emblem of highest honor [Jude 1:24]

I think I could categorize most of the joys I've listed over the past 28 days under this word. I take joy in those things because I am exalting God. I am rejoicing in what He has provided me with. I pour out my thanks over Him as the highest honored guest at my feast. 

I love fall, the crisp air, the changing of the leaves, the need for sweaters and jeans and blankets. Everything about it excites me, and I just can't hold it in. The weather has been unusually warm here in Chicago this week and every time I step outside I let out a squeal and loudly proclaim my love of Fall. I love Fall because my Creator made it to be enjoyed. He made it to be a time of community as people go and harvest the fields together. They rejoice with songs and dancing as the finish their work.

As much as I love fall, some of the scriptures that I read as I studied this word reminded me that I have an even greater gift than Fall to give God exuberant joy for...

Psalm 51:12 reads, "Restore to me the JOY of your SALVATION and great me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

This Psalm was written by David after Nathan rebukes him for committing adultery with Bathsheba. He has recognized his sin, and all that he has lost from turning away from God. However, after lamenting and asking God to cleanse him, he recognizes that he still has a reason to be joyful.
He still has his salvation
and the God who will give him a willing spirit.


Lord, today make my spirit willing to dance before you with joy and gladness, not just because you have given me a beautiful day, but because you have given me salvation. Let praise ring from my lips and anoint you with the honor for you are the provider of all my reasons to be joyful.

No comments:

Post a Comment