10.02.2011

When adding knowledge is Joy Filled

For forty days I'm deliberately choosing to find joy. To start from the beginning, click here 

Day 26

As a college graduate there are things that I've committed to doing in my "class-less" life in order than I may continue to gain knowledge. 

Things such as reading at least one book a month
(with all my travels this past month i'm a little ahead of the game having read 5 books ;D )
finding a church and small group that will push me to dive into God's Word and stretch the things I've become complacent in.

However, I am filled with joy that I am not left entirely to my own devices to gain more knowledge to be applied: my work environment requires certain things from me too.

For example:
Staff Mission Trip was focused on us being able to experience and learn the ins and outs of a mission trip with LeaderTreks. It also gave us time to learn some of the hands on skills for work site (demolition, dry-walling, subfloor, re-flooring with sticky tile, painting)

Or:
My new boss really wants us all to learn Spanish.
So he bought a program and every Monday, Wednesday & Friday we are given 30 minutes to go through a lesson. He is also planning to organize 'special events' in which we can practice our new verbal skills with people who are native speakers.

Also:
For those of you who read my monthly newsletters know that part of my job is to speak for Leadership Training Events (LTEs). This fall there are three separate weeks  devoted to training us in the three different curriculum. The past week as a new staff we became certified in the curriculum titled Foundations of Leadership. This weekend's worth of material is divided into four sessions. We would be taught a session, and then take it home to practice and have to teach it the next morning to our team members. Silver Certification was rewarded on understanding of the material and continual growth in our presentations throughout the week. 

Part of this course includes teaching the Leadership Principle - 

BURDEN + PASSION + VISION = MISSION

Now as many of you know this equation has driven many of my big life decisions (e.g. college choices, work applications to Camp War Eagle and LeaderTreks)... but I've always struggled with adding my burden, passion, and vision into a clear concise mission statement... until now.

As one of my teammates was teaching through these points he asked if anyone had come up with a mission statement. I thought for a minute, not expecting to answer. Until God just slipped it to me as quite as a whisper.

To live intentionally, always pointing others to Christ.

Simple as that. This encompasses what I seek to do in every situation in my life (now and future). I smile every time I think about how clear it is. This shall be my hedgehog concept (a little business principle I picked up from a book I'm currently reading {Good to Great})

This month has been so full of knowledge acquisition. I love how much JOY God has given me as I move farther away from school in my life and yet still blesses me with opportunities to learn.

What knowledge has God been given you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment