10.13.2011

Joy has Arrived!

For forty days I'm deliberately choosing to find joy. To start from the beginning, click here 

Day 30


Agalliao


- to exult, leap for joy, to show one's joy by leaping and skipping denoting excessive or ecstatic joy and delight
- often spoken of rejoicing with song and dance (Sept: Ps. 2:11; 20:5; 40:16; 68:3)
- used in the absoulte sense (Acts 2:26 "my tongue was glad" meaning I rejoiced in words, sang aloud; Lk 10:21; Act 16:34)
- sometime placed after chairo (to rejoice, which is of less intense significanc) produces an expression meaning to rejoice exceedingly  (Matth 5:12; 1 Pet 4:13; Rev 19:7; Ps 40:16; 90:14)
- with chara, joy, "rejoice with joy unspeakable" 1 Peter 1:8
- followed by hina (Jn 8:56, "he rejoiced that he should see my day)
- followed by epi (upon) Luke 1:47
followed by en (in) Jn 5:35; Act 16:34; 1 Pet 1:16; Ps 13:5; 89:16


"But may all who see you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation always say, 'the Lord be exalted'." Ps 40:16


And my Spirit rejoices in God my Savior." Luke 1:47


"But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation." Ps 13:5


~~~~~~~~


I have a friend in college, Jesse, who exuded this type of joy. Right after she started dating someone she was spotted skipping exuberantly past The Caf windows. Upon hearing that two of our friends were getting engaged one even she found herself at an "inopportune time to skip" because we were sitting on a bus on the way to a retreat. 


One of my office mates, Abby, exudes this joy too. Yesterday we had some free time to get things done and she asked over and over again if another office mate would play the guitar so we could sing some songs. She was incessant for a good 15 minutes. But her joy was that ecstatic that she couldn't hold her songs in.


I find myself in this state of joy when I am humming songs or singing hymns. It is just something that comes out. Something that I cannot control.


I love seeing these friends because it is so easy to tell when they are joyful. I hope this joy characterizes me also. I hope that you find me singing a loud a praise song because I am rejoicing in God. I hope that you find me skipping down the street because my joy in God's salvation is so strong I can't hold it in.


If you haven't experienced this type of joy, I pray you do, because it is one of the best feelings in this world!


~~~~~~~~

Check out this girl's simple view of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment