10.19.2011

To Rejoice Is...To Boast?

For forty days I'm deliberately choosing to find joy. To start from the beginning, click here 

Day 32

kauchaomai

- to boast, glory, exult, both in a good and bad sense
- used in an absolute sense (1 Cor 1:29,31; 4:7; 2 Cor 10:13,17; 11:18,30; 12:1,6; Gal 16:14; Eph 2:9) Followed by the accusative of thing of which one boasts (2 Cor 9:2; 11:16, 30)
- with the dative of that in which one glories, of things (Rom 2:23; 5:3; 2 Cor 5:1; 10:15, 16; 11:12; 12:9; Gal 6:13; James 1:9; 4:16)
- of persons (1 Cor 3:21; 2 Thess 1:4)
- in God (Rom 2:17; 5:11; 1 Cor 1:31; 2 Cor 10:17; Phil 3:3)
- other verses (Rom 5:2, 2 Cor 7:14; 9:2; 10:8; 11:18; 12:5)

"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that sufferings produce perseverance," (Rom 5:3)

"Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation." (Rom 5:11)

"Through whom we have gained access by faith into his grace, in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hop of the glory of God." (Rom 5:2)

--------------

This term is the first term we have come across that truly has a choice connected to it. We can choose to boast/glory/exult/rejoice in ourselves or things of this world, or we can choose to boast/glory/exult/rejoice in God.

I wonder if I were to run my boasts through the Wordle site what would be the word in largest print.... I confess it probably would not be Jesus or God right now.

So application time
(this is a big theme at LeaderTreks, because we believe how can you measure your progress
 if you do not have something specific to evaluate):

This week at work we are learning how to build a deck (this will probably be a common project for my students if I am stationed stateside). I have the choice in each stage of this project to boast in my own handiwork, or rejoice in how God has allowed me to accomplish this work.

Today I learned how to use a chisel and hammer to cut out a notch in one of the deck posts. It was tough going because there was a huge knot in the wood that I had to chisel through. When I finally got the entire notch out I could simply say, "Way to go me! I'm pretty strong and smart to figure out a way to get that knot out."
Instead I should say, "Thank you Lord for the strength to complete this task. Thank you for two hands that work perfectly that I may chisel this wood with detailed strokes. Thank you for a brain that can figure out the math to where I need to cut the notch. Thank you for the patience it takes to cut out this stubborn knot. Glory 
to you that this post is now ready to be screwed onto the deck."

Over the next two days as we finish this deck, I am going to continue to choose to thank God, boast in what he has allowed me to do, rejoice and give glory to God.
I am also going to encourage my team when we finish that we turn our celebration of our work into a time to exult and boast in our God and all He has allowed us to do.

How are you going to boast in the Lord today?


No comments:

Post a Comment