2.25.2013

God Is {GRACE-FULL}

This is part my blogging series "Challenge Filled February"
I'll be blogging every day about who God is
To start from the beginning click HERE

4But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— 6and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 
Ephesians 2:4-9


Alright, if you have been tracking me every day of "Challenge Filled February", then obviously you know I've skipped a couple days. But I have a good excuse - mostly...
my parents were in town for the weekend. And it was wonderful.
But that's not actually the reason that I didn't blog
(Because I was home before 9 every night - so obviously there was time).

No, the reason is because I've been mulling a situation over in my head. Something that happened the night I picked my parents up from the airport.

My parents flew into Midway International Airport - which if you know Chicago, then you know it isn't in the worst, but it certaintly isn't in the "best" part of time. There are often people standing along side the road begging for money. Nothing new in my life, this goes on in OKC also. However, that night there was a woman who seemed desperately in need. She wasn't just standing there staring blankly at the drivers while she held her cardboard sign that accomplished all the pleading she could muster - no she was going and getting in the driver's space. Banging on glass and PLEADING.

"Please, I need help.
Please, my car broke down and I've got kids.
Please we just need bus fare.
Please I'll send it back to you."
Pounding on glass and insisting that I roll my window down - pleading and begging for help.

Caught off guard and completely uncomfortable - I know what I think my Father feels about these people - liars. But my heart still goes out to her. I've got $10 cash in my purse, should I just give it to her? I'm refusing, trying to make my feeble unsteady voice heard above her pleas. She's not going away, the semi-truck behind me is getting impatient and all of a sudden it's a green light and the cars in front of me have disappeared  but she's not going away. Even though I'm surrounded by metal on four wheels I feel trapped. So finally, I let myself do it. I lie. I act like I don't have that cash that I could so easily replace with a swipe of my small plastic car. I tell I would, but I just don't have any money on me. And she finally backs off. I'm so ashamed I can't even look at her face before I drive off.

I haven't stopped thinking about her. All weekend, my mind returns to this woman who is looks in such desperate need. I have no idea what her story is - truth telling or lie spinner just for a few measly dollars. And I know it's not for me to judge. But still, I sit and wonder - would God call me a better Christian if I had taken the minute to love this sinner (like myself) and offer a few dollars. I guilt myself into thinking God will love me more if I let my pockets run free-er. That I could have shown this woman love just by throwing cash at her and making the pleading stop rather than lying to make her go away. 
I think this, that is, until I read my verse on grace for the day.

"for my GRACE"
"not of your works" 
"so no man can boast"



God is FULL of GRACE!
And he loves me - no matter what. I have no answer for situations like the one I found myself in on Thursday night. I know it won't be the last time I encounter people in such a way. Some I'll give money to, and others I'll avoid for my own comfort (both emotional and monetary). And I'll rest in this truth 

10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works,
 which God prepared beforehand
that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:10

I am created for works that God prepared before hand. Yet no matter what choices - I am saved by his GRACE

So go forth today and know that God has created you to do something 
- and at the same time, no matter what - 
he is FULL of GRACE 
and pouring out over you because he LOVES YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment