2.05.2013

God is {LIFE and LIGHT}

This is part my blogging series "Challenge Filled February"
I'll be blogging every day about who God is
To start from the beginning click HERE


In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life,[a] and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 1:1-5

In these days that YouVersion has not provided any devotional material I've been using some the study methods that we teach students here at LeaderTreks. One of my favorites is the "What's Up?" Method
+ What did I like about this passage?
+ What in this passage challenged me?
+ What did I not understand about this passage?
+ What did I learn about God from this passage?
+ What verse meant the most to me?
+ What should I do?


This morning as I sat on my bedroom floor looking at this passage and considered the question "What verse meant the most to me?" I was caught up in verse 5 - God, the conqueror of darkness. What a strong picture. Takes me back to college and the Christmas Candlelight Choir concert. The moment one candle is lit it instantly overtakes the darkness. Darkness cannot stand where light is present.
Or an even simpler picture, I got up at 5:30 this morning to spend time with God before heading off to the gym. Now at 5:30 AM it is still quite dark outside, and in my room as I stumble across it towards the glowing light of my cell phone to catch the alarm. And darkness flees the moment I flick the light switch on.

This afternoon I contemplate what I light and truth I need to send God to conquer in the darkest recesses of my mind and heart.
The first thing that comes to mind is my expectations of what I want my day at work to look like and what it has to look like in order to do the best job for my company.

God, who's LIGHT cannot be overcome by darkness. His Truth conquers the darkness in my life. I've been struggling with some darkness in my life and I've been meditating on Phil 4:12-13 to help me remember that God is LIGHT (the conquor of darkness) and with Him all things are possible.

What darkness in your life do you need to remember that it cannot overcome God's LIGHT?

No comments:

Post a Comment